Saturday, 16 May 2015

Bill Cunningham New York a film by Richard Press


"we all get dressed for Bill"- Anna Wintour

This documentary isn't seen as intrusive, but celebratory, as we don't see much of his private life and he only briefly talks about it right at the end. There is something intriguing about him as a person, but also something sad about his life, as all he does is take photos. "I have a feeling he doesnt sit down and talk to people very much" Iris Apfel. He is interesting as he is always distancing himself from the people he photographs and when he documents charity events he never accepts any more than a glass of water. He is mysterious, the only indication of who he really is, is through his work. "A legend or a fixture"- Editta Sherman.

I love how bill cunninghams work is shown in the New York Times where he focuses on one detail or narrative or concept of fashion and there will be a whole spread on it- for example…




These screenshots show some of his older work from the 80's and 90's as collectives. I love these photos as I am biased in preferring anything from the 80's era, but I love the fashions, just as Bill obviously did.





Watching documentaries on people who clearly have a passion for a sub-genre of photography ignites my passion and inspires me to do something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment