Friday, 1 May 2015

The Royal Tenenbaums

The Royal Tenenbaums is a film that proves difficult for me as a person who wants to review it. I think it is both underrated and overrated. I've seen it only twice as I want to keep a fresh opinion when viewing it yet I still think its one of Wes Andersons best films.
His fictional characters have intense characteristics , they have the type of personalities and keen interests that I and so many envy, to seem so sure of yourself and what you want in life. But, as you may know if youve seen the film, the characters lives do not develop in that way.
The storyline is typical Wes Anderson, something so simple yet fitting so as to allow the concentration on the personalities and the relationships and how the characters interact with each other.


As a photographer I admire and practically drool over the colour palette used, the precision when choosing location/set/props/costumes and how perfectly they fit together aesthetically is amazing. This and the use of symmetry has influenced me greatly in my own  photographs. Other favourites include his use of panning, no one pans quite like Anderson.
Also his chosen font when labelling certain sets/props, this simple detail adds to his already perfect signature style that the world instantly recognises






Running theme… dysfunctional families. 


Favourite cinematic still…. 





A question you will definitely ask…  "Can I be a part of the Tenenbaum family?" ( OR you will say "thank god I am not a part of the Tenenbaum family")

and

"How can anyone stand being around Margot Tenenbaum when clearly she must smell like an old ashtray?"


The still that sums up the whole film…
  




No comments:

Post a Comment